As embarrassing as it sounds tangles and knots can be a real issue for those who have long hair. There is nothing pretty about them and removing them can be very hard and painful. Unfortunately tangles and knots form very fast and the longer you keep them, the worse they become. What we need is an effective and stress-free way of dealing with them. I wish I had an amazing trick to blow you away but unfortunately can’t think of any (not this time). However, I have some very practical tips that will help you care for your long hair much more efficiently. Here we go:
- Never attempt brushing your hair without dividing it into parts first. This is probably the easiest and the most effective tip on dealing with hair knots and tangles. If you attempt to brush it all at once, you tend to brush the sides and the ends of your hair and it becomes very easy to miss a tangle right on the back of your head. It might not be obvious first but if it remains there it will grow to a huge rat nest and will cause you a lot of pain and stress later.
Instead, divide your hair as if you were about to do pigtails (or two ponytails, just like little girls do), secure one part with a ponytail holder or clip while you are working on another part.
- Use only wide tooth comb instead of brush. The reason why it’s recommended to use wide tooth comb is because it’s much more gentle on your hair. Hair brushes tend to pull the hair too hard and sometimes tear it.
- Apply a tiny amount of olive oil before you wash your hair. Olive oil is great for your hair and also helps to defrizz hair and brush it easier.
- Brush your hair before washing. If you already have knots in your hair washing them will only make them bigger.
- Use hair conditioner, it truly helps to prepare your hair for brushing. Leave-in hair conditioners are especially good for this.
- Braid your hair before sleeping to prevent new knots and tangles.