You want your wedding day to be perfect from start to finish; that goes without saying. However, so many people overlook the importance of the specifics when it comes to decorating at the reception dinner, especially with things such as tablecloths. These tables are not just somewhere to sit and eat your dinner, while waiting for the nervous speeches – they are features of your wedding day, in as much of a sense as the dress or the hairstyle.
The way that you choose to decorate and accessorize your tables at the reception is important to give the entire wedding the day the same unique feel and look as you want. Every detail is vitally important – you just know the Mother-in-law will have something to say about a tablecloth that is not “fancy” enough! Essentially, you will want to think of the tables at which you are going to sit as a blank canvas, and it’s time to let the fun begin.
Look at your dress and the rest of the wedding – what were the flowers like? Was the dress a frilly one? Were there sparkles? This is the starting point for your wedding reception tablecloths. When you think about it, these wedding tablecloths will add a lot of design to the reception room, and the color, as well as the design, is important.
Obviously, you are going to want to pick the right size tablecloths – what is worse than sitting at a table, (for a guest) and notice that the cloth itself doesn’t quite match up to the length of the table? At the same time, however, you are not going to want them to be too long – this could cause a trip-factor for guests that are up and down from their seats, and will just look unsightly. Ideally, you are going to want the cloth to cover the table to a point where you can’t see the table legs, but not too much so that they drape all over the floor. Always measure the tables beforehand! One good measuring tip to take into account is to measure the table itself and then add around 60 inches to that point – that will give you the perfect starting point for picking the wedding tablecloths.
Once you have the size right, you can then go ahead and move onto color. It is up to you how you choose to do this, but you will want the color to match the wedding. If you have a lilac-themed wedding, for example, you may have lilac flowers and lilac bridesmaid’s dresses; so essentially, you are going to want lilac table accessories. This could be a lilac runner over a crisp white tablecloth, (or ivory, dependent on the color of your dress) or even just lilac wedding tablecloths with white/ivory accessories placed on top.
This brings me nicely to my second point – what kind of tablecloth are you going to want? There are three main styles that you can choose from:
- The underlay cloth – this will be the base color for your wedding table accessories, and as we have already discussed, you could choose lilac, (let’s stay with the lilac theme for now) or white/ivory.
- The overlay cloth – this will be the beauty factor of the wedding table accessories – this could be a textured material, such as lace, and should be the opposite color to that of your underlay cloth. So, for example, if you have gone with white or ivory on the bottom, you could go for lilac on the top, or vice versa. This is going to be the main focal point of the wedding tables – it is the material that people are going to be seeing and feeling, so a good quality, higher priced material is often the best.
- The table runner – as we have mentioned, you could use a table runner to really make your table pop. It could be an accent color, so for example, if your underlay was lilac, your overlay was white/ivory; this part of the table could be a different shade of lilac, or even green if you had beautiful green shrubbery in with your wedding flowers. You could just add a bit of sparkle, of course, and have sequins on top of lilac, or similar effects.
It is important to remember that every little detail counts when it comes to weddings, and even something as small and insignificant could make the world of difference to how people see your wedding. Pay attention to the smaller details, and the rest of the wedding will fall nicely into place!
- A Guide to Wedding Table Accessories
- Choosing the Perfect Wedding Dress for Body Type
- Wedding Videography Tips
- A Guide to Wedding Photography