Everyone knows that smoking is bad for you – it is on the TV, on the radio, even on the cigarette packets themselves these days, but one thing is for sure; smoking causes lots of bad things! From cancer to lung disease and everything else in between, it would seem that every major and minor medical complaint could be linked to smoking in one form or another, and if that weren’t enough to persuade you to give up, you should look at the very serious damage it can do to your skin. If you are someone that takes pride in their appearance and wants to look youthful and young for as long as you can, one of the very best things that you can do is give up smoking!
According to studies, smoking is the worst thing that you can do for your skin alongside sun exposure. We can hear you saying – how come? Well, allow us to inform you:
- Smoking causes things called free radicals in your body which suck up all of the nutrients that are better needed elsewhere in the body. This means that your skin structure is damaged, leaving it saggy, graying in color, not able to rejuvenate itself and in short – in a very bad condition!
- There are chemicals in cigarettes that cause huge amounts of damage to your skin. One of the ways that it does this is because it restricts the blood flow to the skin which means that it will not be getting all of the vital nutrients that it needs in order to function properly. The skin is a protective barrier around the body – almost like a shield, and when you smoke, you are damaging this shield which technically puts you in a very dangerous position, especially against bugs and viruses.
- For those of you that are worried about wrinkles – giving up smoking causes wrinkles much before their normal due time. Rather than growing old gracefully, you will wrinkle at a much younger age, and the accompanying signs of aging will also follow too soon. Unless you want to look 60 when you are just 40, you should probably just give up!
Now, we can all hear what you are saying – “I have tried to give up and I can’t!” or “Quitting smoking is REALLY hard work!” We all know this, but at the end of the day, nothing good in life ever comes easily really, does it?
If you REALLY want to give up smoking, for the sake of your skin, your children, your grandchildren and more importantly than these – YOU, you are going to need to put in a little hard work.
For example, one tip that might make you a little bit more motivated is that the majority of those people that have actually succeeded in giving up smoking actually had to try more than once in order to do so. Just because you failed on your first, second, third, fourth, and even 50th time, doesn’t mean that you are never going to get there!
You are going to want to find something to take the place of cigarettes. For some people, this could be gum. For others, it could be an inhaler. There are a lot of products on the market from these to patches and much more and all of them are designed to help you – why not use them? One thing that has shown very high success rates are the new and innovate electronic cigarettes. Why not take a peek online and have a closer look?
You are going to need the support of everyone around you at this difficult time. You are going to want to punch people on a regular basis, you are going to be snappy at the people that you love the most, and more than these things, you are going to want a cigarette every waking moment for the foreseeable future! If you have friends or family that smoke; ask them to have a little bit of consideration for you and ask them not to smoke around you. Give up smoking with likeminded people so that you have a support network around you. Do whatever it takes to make it work – different things work for different people.
One thing that you are going to want to bear in mind with quitting smoking is exercise. This simple activity can help you to de-stress when you want to rip anyone and everyone’s heads off. It can also help you NOT to gain weight. The one thing that a lot of people turn to when they give up smoking is food and you are going to find that you put on a little bit of weight at first. By exercising, you are avoiding this from happening and it will also give you something productive to focus on when you want to quit smoking.
in Face & Body
- Healthy Skin Tips
- Five Principles of Perfect Anti-Aging Programs
- The Factors of Skin Aging
- Anti-Aging Tips for Every Age
- Effects of Stress on Skin Aging