When it comes to weight loss walking is probably one of the most overlooked tools. Walking is a safe and effective way to lose weight for just about anyone with two feet and in fact should be the first thing to do when you notice those pounds piling on again.
Walking is especially effective because:
- It’s easy to incorporate into your daily routine – if something is within walking distance simply use your two feet to get there!
- You can walk just anywhere and it doesn’t feel like you are really working out (psychological factor).
- You can change your route and enjoy new scenery every time, which helps you stick with the program.
- A solitary walk is a great way to relax and think things over.
- An iPod or a good companion will make your walk even more pleasant.
In addition walking is absolutely free – it doesn’t require gym membership or any special equipment. If you have been inactive for some time or if you have a lot of weight to lose walking will help you get started without risks of injury.
Most people will burn about 100-150 calories after walking for half an hour and you don’t have to do that all at once. It’s okay to break down your walking into several sessions if needed and you will benefit just as much.
As you see walking is a fantastic weight loss tool. The best way to use this tool is to keep it natural and develop this as a new habit rather than think of it as a workout. If something is within 30-minute walk distance just WALK there and don’t give it a second thought. This newly developed habit will not only help you lose weight it will also help you maintain your weight in the future. 30-minute walk might seem like much in the beginning but if you stick with your daily strolls you will be amazed at how quickly your endurance builds up.